Tech Tuesday: How to Clean Your Gerard Roof
It’s time for spring cleaning, so don’t forget to clean your Gerard roof! Here is what you should do:
The Gerard Roof Products roofing panels and the coating are not adversely affected by organic growth. This organic growth; however, can be concern to the aesthetics of the roof to the owner. In these situations, the following recommendations should be followed.
- For large particles and/or debris: remove objects by hand or soft bristled broom or a low pressure rinse from a garden hose. Do Not Spray Up the Roof Surface and Avoid Spraying Into the Side Joint. By removing the areas of growth and food source for such growth (sugars like pollen and sap), this will help to eliminate or inhibit organic growth from occurring.
- If growth has occurred and “cleaning” is needed:
- Determine the area of roof surface that needs to be cleaned (approx. 5 gallons will cover 900 square feet)
- Mix 70% water, 30% laundry bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite solution) and 1 cup of mild liquid household soap
- Mix in a 5 gallon bucket or larger
- Pour mixture into a 2 gallon or larger hand sprayer (DO NOT PRESSURE WASH)
- Spray mixture onto the affected areas
- Protect vegetation against cleaner run-off
- Rinse off any contacted vegetation
- Leave the mixture on the roof for a minimum of 24 hours. The sunlight and the mixture will continue the killing process of the organic matter on the roof surface. After the minimum 24 hours the solution may be rinsed of but again protect and rinse vegetation.
For any other questions, please contact our technical department at 1-800-237-6637.